Romance Fiction posted January 31, 2021 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 21... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Gabriel and the boys return from fishing.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 10 part 3

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Katherine struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is she getting some help?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After about an hour of fishing, Gabriel went to the truck to get snacks and drinks. As he carried them, Bill met him partway. "I'll give you a hand." He took an ice chest. "Hey, is your mom trying to match you and Katherine?"

Gabriel nodded. "Ever heard of anything so ridiculous?"

Bill chuckled. "I think she's right. Katherine's a good match for you."

As his eyebrows rose, Gabriel said, "Are you forgetting how often she's angry with me? Most of the time we're barely speaking."

Setting down the ice chest, Bill said, "That's a mark of a good relationship." He grinned. "Guys, want drinks and a snack?"

Gabriel put down the second ice chest. "Chips and cookies over here." He held up an apple. "And if you want to make your mom happy fresh fruit."

Jeremy walked to him. "Coach, you're funny. Why'd I eat an apple when there's cookies?"

Grinning, Gabriel answered, "Good point. Just trying to stay on your mom's good side."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 10 part 3 day 8 Saturday evening (post 20)

Around five o'clock the ladies gathered in the living room. Katherine smiled. "It looks great. The majority of the boxes are emptied. Thank you so much. I doubt I could've gotten it done by myself."

Rebecca pointed at the kitchen. "You need to check the kitchen. We put things where we thought they should go. You may have different ideas."

"I doubt it. I think most kitchens are set up for user convenience. I can't imagine things would be that far off. Thank you." Katherine entered the dining room and slid her hand along the antique walnut wood cabinet. "My china looks great in this. It came with the house." She turned her head at a commotion outside. "It must be the boys. Peace and quiet just ended."

Moments later in rushed the boys with Reggie running behind. Jeremy led the pack, stopped, and held his arms wide. "Mom, I caught a huge fish. This big. Can you cook it?"

Gabriel followed behind. "On the front porch is a bucket of enough bluegill for a fish fry." His eyes met Katherine's. "What do you want me to do with them?"

"Hmmm." Katherine closed her eyes and then opened them. She witnessed the anticipation on her youngest son's face. "We cook them."

Harold walked in carrying two large containers. "Tonight's dinner."

Bill followed with more containers. "Here's more." He glanced behind him. "Jordan and Joshua have the rest."

Katherine glared at Gabriel.

He held up his hands. "I'm innocent. It was all Mom's doing."

Rebecca came up and held both Katherine's hands. "Gabe's right. I did this on my own. He knew nothing about it. I know how stressful moving is and wanted to help."

"Thank you but setting up the kitchen and dining room was more help than you'll ever know. You didn't need to do this."

Embracing Katherine, Rebecca said, "I did."

When the hug ended, Rebecca glanced at Sarah. "Let's get this dinner started." She pointed to the couch. "Katherine, sit and take a break. We got this."

Katherine walked up to Gabriel. "I have a problem. What do I do with the fish?" She paused. "I know how to cook fish, but are they cleaned?"

Gabriel grinned. "Are you saying you don't clean fish?" He paused. "So you're admitting you need help?"

Katherine sighed, "You're incorrigible."

Rebecca called from the dining room. "I've known that for years. You should've seen him at Jeremy's age. I think he can identify with that child."

Opening the front door, Gabriel paused and adjusted Reggie's bib. "Come on boys, let's clean fish."

"Dinner will be ready in ten minutes," said Sarah.

"Okay boys, we'll do it after dinner. Go wash up."

Angie hugged Katherine. "I can't wait to start our family."

Katherine's eyes widened. "Are you sure?" She paused and then teased, "Maybe daughters, I wouldn't suggest four sons. To be honest, I wouldn't change a thing."

Katherine eyed the brisket, potato salad, baked beans, coleslaw, and banana pudding. "This is too much. You really didn't need to do this."

Rebecca took her hand. "I've already told you, I did. Now sit and enjoy."

*****
After dinner, Gabriel, Bill, and the boys went outside and cleaned fish. After the dishes were done, Harold and Rebecca went home and soon Sarah followed. Once the fish were cleaned, Bill and Angie left.

Katherine glanced at Jeremy, who said, "I know Mom, time for a bath." He stomped up the stairs.

Joel glanced up the stairs. "I already know, I'm next."

Gabriel grinned. "They have their routine down."

Folding a dish towel, Katherine said, "They do. That's a good thing."

Gabriel scanned the room. "Before I leave is there anything that needs to be done. I don't want something like the washing machine incident to happen again."

Hesitating Katherine said, "I was wondering..." She exhaled. "I was wondering if you'd..."

"Just spit it out."

"Would you like to come tomorrow night for fish dinner?"

His eyes twinkled. "I'd love to. Anything I should bring?"

"Reggie."

"Of course, I don't go anywhere without my trusty companion." He petted Daisy's head. "She'd miss him."

"Then it's a date." Her cheeks tinged pink. "I didn't mean a date. I meant friends..." She inhaled. "I don't know what I meant." She turned and walked away.

Gabriel reached out and touched her hand. "I know what you meant. It's definitely not a date."


CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a bucket of bluegill. I also want to thank everybody for the wonderful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High School football is a national past-time in Texas. This post is a little over 730 words. Again, I made changes as I posted. I hope it works. I've figured out the busier I am at my paying job the more mistakes I make with my writing. Thank you for having patience with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.