Horror and Thriller Fiction posted January 30, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Don't let the...

Sleep Tight - part two

by giraffmang


Previously - Sean Flynn lost it all due to greed - his job, his home, his family. Struggling with his life after prison, living in squalid accommodation, Sean decides to try to reconnnect with his family. On leaving his apartment, he bumps into an older resident who tells him a strange tale about the apartment's former resident. Shrugging this off, Sean heads for his former home to see his girls. Unsuccessful in his attempts to reconnect, he heads back to his new home, dejected and forlorn.

Part Two - 

Sean draped his sopping jacket on the back of the threadbare chair, kicked off his shoes and struggled out of his wet clothes. He towelled himself dry in the bathroom, lost in the memories of the girls. They’d been six and eight when he’d been put away. Tears welled. Hell, they’re almost adults.

Back in the main room, he pulled a fresh pair of boxers from the small chest of drawers and stepped into them before diving under the rumpled bed clothes. He pulled the sheets up his chin and hunkered down trying to get comfortable. Somewhere outside a siren wailed and cast its blue glow briefly through the thin curtains. In the eerie glow the room looked even more depressing, if possible.

“Maybe I’ll do a runner myself.”

Sean tossed and turned as sleep eluded him. his mind raced and he couldn’t get comfortable. Images of the girls, Sophie and Leanne, crowded his thoughts. He remembered their little faces lighting up when he came home; family meals; marching them up to bed and doing their night-nights; the words running through his mind…

You’re going to sleep all through the night, cuddled up warm and tight.

And wonderful dreams will go through your head, as you’re snuggled up, safe, tight, and warm in your bed.

So, good night (a kiss on one check), sleep tight (kiss on the other cheek) and don’t let the bed bugs—

Sean sat bolt upright, a sharp pain in his left shoulder. He grabbed it with his right hand, squeezing. “What the hell?”

He got out of bed, fumbling for the light and the weak bulb ebbed to life. For a second, Sean had trouble focusing. The surface of the bed appeared to undulate before coalescing into its usual form. Sean rubbed his shoulder again and when he took his hand away, a few pinpricks of red dotted his palm. Reaching down, he tore the sheets from the bed. Everything looked fine. Yet he was bleeding. He rushed to the bathroom, pulling the little cord of the light above the mirror. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn’t see anything on his shoulder.

He turned on the taps to the accompaniment of more clanking and dowsed his face with cold water. Today had not been a great day. He turned off the bathroom light, returned to the other room and clambered onto the bed. Running his hands over the surface, he detected nothing that would have caused the pain in his shoulder nor explain the bleeding.

Frustrated, sad and tired he lay down and pulled the covers back over himself. He let out a nervous chuckle as he turned out the light. Maybe I need someone to tuck me in. Following a restless twenty minutes, Sean fell into a fitful sleep.



 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. giraffmang All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
giraffmang has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.