General Non-Fiction posted January 25, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Continuation of my adventures.

A Wet Cat

by aryr


The picture I chose seemed to express the look on my cat's face. I had always bathed Tabitha in the kitchen sink wearing a long sleeved shirt to protect my arms. One has to remember that front claws were removed as soon as they could be according to the vet. Back claws remained.

Regardless of whether any cat needed it, truly wanted it, I bathed them about every three months. When Sallie was alive, she mournfully expressed her dislike when I bathed the girls, she was protective of them. Because so many have commented...many, many years ago, when I got my very first cat I was told by the vets at the Cat Hospital to bath them every two to three months to help with the dander and the natural oils they secrete.

Usually she was noisy but rather tolerant of the whole procedure. I would make sure the water temperature was comfortable for her, had the pet shampoo handy and a towel ready. This was my idea of being organized whether it was a single cat or when I had three of them.

This time, however, Jim decided that he would bath her in the shower. I had great visions of disaster. I even explained that there was the potential that she would become angry and claw or bite.

Regardless the plan was that I would be ready with a towel and he would shampoo her. Let the fun begin.

Jim routinely cleaned the shower every Sunday, so today was the day or rather yesterday was the day. I needed time to compose this.

Anyway, after cleaning the shower, he asked if I would pass him the cat. Now I am not stupid, so of course I had a long sleeve shirt on. I grabbed Tabitha from the back of her recliner and took her into the bath room.

He slid the shower door open, with the water off to take her. So far, so good. With one hand he held her on the area where one could sit and flipped the removeable shower head to jet the water. She was not a happy camper, to say the least.

She howled, she hissed, she cried out to me as I stood on the other side of the shower doors. She even attempted to get through the glass by bunting her head against the glass. She was truly miserable.

After the thorough wet down came the pet shampoo, this just seemed to anger her more. From what I understand it is okay if the shampoo gets in her eyes because it is like a baby shampoo. She was literally covered with suds from her tiny nose to the tip of her tail.

Jim was well coordinated with one hand on her throughout this entire process. When he had removed all the suds he sort of squished the water from her. She looked like a drowned rat. Her little eyes still pleading with me. He nodded to me in anticipation of opening the door.

I had a towel ready and quickly wrapped her in it. Securing her so she could not escape. Wow, this had been the easiest and fastest bath I had ever participated in.

When she was secured, I took her out to the living room where I talked softly to her as I cuddled and hugged her in the towel. She definitely voiced her displeasure. After about fifteen minutes I let her go, she went about five feet away and started grooming herself. It was ironic that the spot she chose was about a three foot square in the sun. She was a smart cat.

Meanwhile, Jim finished his shower, yep he was naked when shampooing her. But enough of that. About two hours later she was calm enough for him to brush her on her terms only. I wisely sat on the couch and let those two figure each other out.

The only concession I had made was to turn on the electric mattress cover on a low setting, so she could get comfy if needed. I had covered the bed with large towels as protection. Thank goodness for duel controls, since I let her settle on my side.

I will admit that I have learned a very valuable lesson and that is to let Jim bath her, I have now become a towel person only. Until the next adventure.




A special thank you to Jim for showing me the proper way to shampoo a cat, lol.
And a thank you for the artwork-Drear cat by Aroosa Hermosa
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Aroosa Hermosa at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.