General Fiction posted January 21, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When your work is done -

Prayers Answered

by Begin Again

Short short story Contest Winner 




The pale crescent moon shone like a silvery claw in the night sky. His gaze scanned the blanket of stars outside his window.  

Excruciating pain racked his frail body, but it didn’t match the agony of hearing his mother’s tearful cries, pleading for a miracle. He didn’t know what to say, how to comfort her, or let her understand it was okay.

"Dear Lord, please hear my prayer. I’m so tired.” 

 

Silence filled his room. 

“Are you there, Wendy?” He focused on the brightest star. “Mommy said you were watching over me. “

“She’s right, Michael.”

The lilting voice startled him. A soft glow appeared in the doorway. Was this an answer to his prayers?

“Wendy?” 

“Hush, Michael, you need to rest.”

“No! I can’t watch them suffer every day. Please help me.”

“Not yet. Your job isn’t done.” 

“My job? I’m too weak.”

Something gently brushed his forehead. His pain subsided. He felt at peace.

The sweet voice was singing to him -

‘You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

You make me happy when skies are gray

You’ll never know dear, how much I love you’

He drifted off to sleep.

 

The brilliant morning sunshine washed across his bed. He struggled to open his eyes. Sensing Michael was awake, she raised her tear-stained eyes to meet his weary ones.

“Mommy, I love you.”

Tears streamed down her face. “I love you, too.”

His beautiful angel took his hands and smiled, “Your job is done!” as they whispered goodbye.



Writing Prompt
Write a short short story exactly 250 words

Short short story
Contest Winner


I believe - life's tragedies and blessings have taught me to believe that angels are with us always (even when we aren't aware).
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.