General Fiction posted January 19, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I need you and you need me.

To Survive

by Brigitte Elko

There you sit groaning silently. Here I am, listening and watching you as you do absolutely nothing but keep me company all day every day. You are dying and I am watching the tell tale signs on your leaves. You, my dear plant companion, can not die!
What is it that you are trying to tell me? You are my company during isolation and we are dependent on each other for survival. Your leaves are a vibrant green except around the edges, just like me. I am visibly thriving but not on the inside. We both need a human touch to heal the withering stems.
Should I water you now? You must survive! Provide me with much needed oxygen so that I can keep breathing in and out without reservation or forethought.
Leaves give forth your oxygen and I will breathe on you the carbon dioxide that you need. Then, drops of water, absorb them and keep thriving for both us. We have each other in this isolated space. Songs of hope, I will play and sing for you, for one day, we will venture outside. My mask will be discarded. You, my best friend, will go with me to the garden to be planted and admired by many people that have been missed during this pandemic.
We WILL survive. We MUST survive.



Dying Houseplant writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
A houseplant is dying. Tell it why it needs to live.


This was a not an easy task. All I could think about was the pandemic and being stuck in isolation. It is what it is...
Thanks to elean for the use of the image.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brigitte Elko All rights reserved.
Brigitte Elko has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.