Biographical Non-Fiction posted February 17, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Close as it gets

Almost Heaven

by Sally Law


It was real quiet with white lights and dust particles flying all around. I thought, this is it... I'm on my way to Heaven.

But the heavenly choir was my CD player; The Bee Gees belting it out.

The pain in my left hand pulled me back to consciousness. Oh yeah, someone pulled in front of me on a green light.

Horns honking. Sirens. Firemen. Strangers yelling commands. My Saab was a ball of twisted metal, and I was sandwiched between a Chevy Suburban and a concrete wall.

The back passenger side door let go with a sigh. "She's alive," reported the fireman. "We'll need to cut her out."

Another fireman climbed on my car and spoke to me through the sunroof, offering words of comfort. "You're going to be okay. We are going to get you out of here as quickly as possible. The safest way is to remove your door."

I nodded my head in compliance.

"Do you know today's date?"

"December 8th, 2005."

"It's says here that this car is registered to Sally Law."

"Yes, that's me."

"This couldn't possibly be you. It says here you're in your fifties."

"Thank you for that! You've just improved my day."

"Do you have a cell phone?"

"It must be in my briefcase.... Please, my left hand hurts so badly."

"I'm sorry, ma'am. It just helps to know who you are."

The firefighter on the roof slid his hands through the opening to position a shield between me and the door. "Close your eyes and remain calm, Ms. Law. We'll have you out of here in no time."

He was right, and it took just a few minutes as the "Jaws of Life" cut the left side of the car open. Once they had me out, I glanced back at the tangled mess and gasped.

"Please tell me there were no children in the back of the Suburban." I started to cry at the very thought.

"No ma'am. Just the driver, and she's fine."

Relief washed over me.

My ghastly looking hand and blow to the chest were their first concerns. My head seemed fine, but they continued to pepper me with questions.

"Is there a relative or friend we can notify, Mrs. Law?"

"My husband, Jackson. He's on the top of my call list."

By the time they had loaded me into the ambulance, two hands I recognized cupped my face. "I'm here, sweetheart... I am here."

I resolved then, that this would be my place for now... my Heaven on Earth.



True Story Contest contest entry

Recognized

#18
February
2021


My left hand was completely black by the time I reached the hospital. Amazingly, it was not broken. I was traveling 45 miles an hour when I T-boned the Suburban. The person traveling behind me saw the whole thing and was a witness. The driver of the Suburban was ticketed and fined.


This video was so similar to my experience. My car looked just like the one pictured here. Bless God for firefighters and many thanks to the ones who served me that day in Orlando, Florida.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.