General Flash Fiction posted December 31, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
This story comes from a writing prompt in Poets & Writers..

Remove the Dust

by papa55mike


A thick layer of dust builds into a drifting cloud that disperses throughout the room - finite particles of nothingness searching for a place to land.

The gentle breeze parts the curtains and gathers portions of my life that float through the air. Dreams never chased, and desires that scatter into a bottomless void leaving only emptiness.

Books with never seen words, timeless stories, heroes, and villains - characters long forgotten within the empty pages that failed to be written.

Music full of passion and desire sits alone on a shelf, waiting to fill the hearts of the world - fear keeps anyone from listening.

A child with weeping brown eyes, looking for her teddy bear to comfort her, but your heart is too empty to see.

There are sunsets with vivid colors that my eyes failed to view while sitting alone in this darkened corner of my cell.

This prison of my own making, deep within my soul, filled with regrets, dominated by a callous master who seeks to destroy any shred of creativity.

All inspiration has fled inside an old steamer trunk, deep within a ship's hold, on a one-way trip to the artic.

But something stirs, a toe begins to tap, fingers start to twitch, the heart flutters, and the mind reacts.

Once again, I see the beauty of creation.

"Where's my feather duster!"



Recognized


Inside the January/February 2021 issue of Poets & Writers is a series of prompts for Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction. There was the title, Remove the Dust, in the Poetry section. I saw the title and wrote this in about five minutes. Things do explode in my mind once in a while.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.