General Fiction posted November 30, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a 250-word story

Suddenly

by Bill Schott
















Suddenly Tom noticed footprints in the snow. Who else lived in this remote place?

Chet read the lines again as he considered where the story would go.

"Hey, Kathy! Tell me what you think about this opening."

Chet's wife Kathy, who kept his writing readable, looked over the sentences.

"Suddenly?"

"Well, yeah. He was obviously out walking and --"

"Why is that obvious?  He might have been staring out a window."

“Well, sure.  I was about to make that clear.”

Kathy scoffed and stepped away. “Suddenly!”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“In a writing class in the sixth grade, I wrote a story about a young girl discovering an aging elixir which caused young people to become the age of adults.”

“Wow, I can see how that would stick with you for sixty years,” Chet said flatly.

“When it came to the protagonist actually ingesting the elixir, I wrote, I was staying home from school. Suddenly, I drank an aging solution.   
 

Chet smiled. “That sounds like sixth grade level storytelling. Why would you remember that incident?”

“Well, because the teacher made such a big fuss about the lack of plot development that might prompt the girl to drink an aging solution.”

“So, this repressed memory surfaces to inform my writing and tell me to place Tom somewhere so he can SUDDENLY see footprints in the snow.”

Kathy kissed his cheek, smiled, and returned to whatever it is she does.

Chet put his fingers on the keyboard and wrote – this.


  
 
 



 



Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Short Story( Beg/middle/end) (250 words.) Write your own title. Begin with the sentence below:
Suddenly Tom noticed footprints in the snow. Who else lived in this remote place?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.