General Fiction posted November 20, 2020


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
November's Beaver moon hung low in the sky.

Beaver Hollow's Revenge

by Chrissy710


November's Beaver moon hung low in the sky. However, this night was also full of activity in 'Beaver Hollow'. The beaver's dam with many lodges, had been depleted every year by relentless beaver trappers, who were the beaver's worst predator.

Basil Beaver, the elected mayor of 'Beaver Hollow', had devised a plan to be activated this very November Beaver moon night. This year instead, we will set traps for the trappers;

Cleverly weaving sticks and grasses together, the beavers built man sized underwater cocoons that would instantly encase their victim, making it impossible to move thus preventing escape. The victim would then soon drown underwater. Disguised by thin layers of moss to look like a 'pathway', anyone stepping upon this would instantly fall through, into the deep water below, becoming ensnared in the trap.

Just after midnight this year the beavers lay in wait.

Voices; "Charlie this looks like a good spot to lay a snare" said Horace, who proceeded to step onto the mossy 'pathway' instantly falling through into the beavers cocoon man snare. The mossed 'pathway' then quickly returned to its normal look, smooth with no outward signs of any disturbance.

"Horace, Horace, where are you?" called Charlie, who was shaken and confused as to Horace's disappearance.

A silent eeriness hung over' Beaver Hollow' as Horace now trapped, took his last breathe that filled his lungs with the murky dark water.

Basil Beaver, who watched from the shadows, had a smile upon his face. "One down" he said.



Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Short Story (Beg/Mid/end) (Create your own title) (250 words max)
beginning with the sentence::

November's Beaver moon hung low in the night sky.



Two hundred and fifty word story beginning with: November's Beaver moon hung low in the sky.

Thanks for reading my work

Cheers

Image from google images
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.