Horror and Thriller Non-Fiction posted December 7, 2020


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Horrors of Real Estate

The Smell of Death

by Sally Law


I serviced a multi-county area in Florida as a real estate professional.

Summer house viewings were the most difficult, especially when unoccupied.

I ventured to such a place with a client, in the picturesque countryside. 

The fixer-upper was overgrown, and the cobweb-lined entry door was difficult to open. Worse, it was filthy inside, and carrying a distinct smell... that of decomposing flesh.

Following my nose, I headed down the dark hall.

Fear gripped me when I noticed the back bedroom was closed off, with rags shoved under the door. 

I bolted with my client, running in high-heels down the driveway.



True Story Flash contest entry

Recognized

#171
2020


I called the Sheriff to let him know about the smell and asked him to check on the house. It turned out to be a dead dog left by the previous owner. I let the listing agent have it about this poor dog that had been left to die. All she did was set the sign in the yard, put a lock box on the door, and drive away. She never went inside to inspect the house as she should have. Realtors like that, make me furious! I filed a complaint with her broker, but not without giving her an ear full. Unfortunately, pet owners aren't necessarily good ones either.

Word count: 100. Per the contest rules, this flash can be between 98-102. Hyphenated words may count as one word.



https://pixabay.com/photos/horror-halloween-eye-head-monster-3690119/@pixabay.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.