General Non-Fiction posted April 18, 2014 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A short story about a long day

A chapter in the book Carolyn's Corner

What a week today has been

by Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens

Have you had this thought, 'Is this day ever going to end?'

Well, I had one of those kind of days today.

But, was it so disimilar to one that you may have had in your life?
If not, if you live long enough yourself, you will have a day like this. A day of making arrangements, to commit a loved one, to their final resting place.

Have you written the obituary? Do you know where the deceased person was born? City, county,state? Do you have pertinent dates, birth dates, etc? Full names of both parents? Was the deceased in the military? Do you have discharge papers? Do you plan on a military service? Have you all survivors information? Spousal, how many years of marriage, dates of same. Children, spouses names, their children, names and so on down the line? Have you a list of family and friends to contact? Will there be a wake, a funeral, a grave side service, or both? Do you have speakers, singers, pallbearers? Will someone read scripture, lead a prayer? Mausoleum or cremation? Burial clothing, headstone? Flowers or in lieu of: donations to a charity, etc.

These are only a few of the many things to do on this inevitable day.

Have you made a check off list? Financial, will you contact Social Security for cancellation of benefits and perhaps spousal information. What about pensions? How about life insurance, burial policies? Do you have access to assets, home deeds, personal property and or bank accounts, investments? Does the deceased have a will? Is there an executor? Have you talked to the funeral director about the death certificate, did you think to request at least six?

Will there be a luncheon or meal following the service? Will it be catered or will the food be provided as in a pot-luck. Where will this event take place?

A day like this can feel like a week.

Even though you are never ready to give up a loved one, I can assure you, if you have some of these things preliminarily done, it can make all the difference in the world.

And finally, have you made time for yourself, to grieve, and to celebrate the life of the one you have lost?

Shorten your week today...... Pray.





Recognized


Just thoughts from my heart as we go through this difficult time. If these thoughts benefit any of you, then I am blessed. Carolyn
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens All rights reserved.
Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.