Romance Fiction posted February 17, 2013 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 8, part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous Post:

Dwayne paused and said something to Nala.

Billy Joe entered. Paige explained the situation.

"That ain't right. Think we need to pay him a visit?" Cash stepped into the room. Billy Joe glanced at him.


Today's Post:

"Who do we need to pay a visit?" Cash used a bandana and wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"Mr. Cash, I don't want no trouble. You know how it is in these parts." Nala shook her head.

"I think Dwayne Walker's a racist." Paige's eyes met his. "He said something to Nala. I know it wasn't nice, but I couldn't make it out. I told him to leave."

"Nala?" Cash glanced at her.

"I think you could use some ice tea." Nala turned.

Cash stepped closer. "What did he say?"

"He reminded me of my place. That's all." Nala wiped her hands on her apron.

"He'd said something before today. She was uncomfortable eating lunch with me." Paige braced herself against the wall. "We want to help, but we can't if you won't let us."

"Let's continue this in the library. Paige needs to elevate that foot." Cash carried her to the couch and adjusted the pillows.

Paige scooted over and tapped the couch. "Nala, come sit by me. Let's talk."

"I better get Mr. Cash some tea. He looks mighty hot."

Billy Joe stepped in front of Nala. "Cash can wait. He's used to the sun. Have a seat." He moved a chair beside her.

"Nala, remove the apron and give it to me." Paige held out her hand. She folded it and set it on the table. "Now it's just friends talking."

Three sets of eyes stared at Nala. She studied the floor for a few moments. "Yesterday, my boys and me were walking home after the church service. Dr. Walker stopped his big fancy car and stood on the sidewalk. He said my kind doesn't belong at a white lady's party. Today he said, my kind don't socialize with the boss." She wiped a tear rolling down her cheek. "I don't want no trouble."

"This is 2013. Segregation ended about sixty years ago." Paige released a deep breath. "It's illegal. I can't believe it still goes on. He said something to me about a social system. I didn't believe that either."

"There's some in the South who'll never accept changes in society." Cash took Nala's hand. "How can we help? Do you want Billy Joe and me to have a talk with him?"

"No! I want it dropped. If you go stirring things up, it'll only get worse. Remember a few years back? The Washington family got burned out of their house, and the baby girl died."

After Billy Joe removed his cap and hit it against his thigh, he sighed. "This ain't good." He looked at Cash. "We'd better take him out back and read from the Good Book." His eyes lit up, and he grinned. "Remember what you did to the wide receivers' coach? He kept bad mouthing your running back because he was black."

"The coach got the principal to fire him. He took a lot of grief for hiring a black coach to replace him. After Toby ran a forty-seven yard touchdown to win the district finals, people left our new coach alone." Cash smiled. "Black players on the football team did more to ending segregation than all the political ploys."

Billy Joe looked at Cash. "If we raise too much of a fuss, it'll get worse. Nala and her kids'll pay the price."

Nala glanced at Paige. "We can't do anything about hate, but we can do something about Paige."

Cash's eyebrows rose. "What?"

"How did he know Paige broke her ankle?" Nala's hands set on her hips.

"Exactly what did he say?" Cash stared at Paige.

"He said he came by because he'd heard I'd broken my ankle and wanted to see if he could help. I asked how he knew, and he said somebody at the hospital told him." Paige studied Cash. "Do you think he's spying on me?"



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo representing tolerance. Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.