Romance Fiction posted February 10, 2013 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige talks with Dr. Walker.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 8, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
End of previous post:
With eyebrows raised and a frown, Paige asked, "What are you doing? You fixed a nice lunch. Why don't you share it with me? There's more than enough for both of us."

"In these parts, the hired help don't eat with the employer."

"But you ate with Mary Pat and me on Saturday. I don't understand."

"That was a mistake."

"Why was that a mistake? I invited you. Mary Pat was born in the South and she didn't have problems eating with you." Paige noticed Nala avoiding eye contact. "Nala, has something happened? Did somebody say something?"


Today's post:

"Paige, I'll sit with you, but I'd prefer my own lunch." Nala left for a moment then returned with a sack lunch. She opened it and took out a sandwich in plastic wrap.

"I won't ask any more questions, but I want it made clear that while you're in my house you're a friend who happens to work here. It's no different than Cash or Billy Joe. If we meet on the street, I'll treat you as a friend."

"I understand and I appreciate the thought." Nala took a bite of sandwich.

The ladies ate in silence until Morgan stretched his body as far as he could, trying to help himself to Paige's cob salad. "I think he wants some turkey." She laughed and reached for a piece.

"Don't do that." Nala touched Paige's arm. "He's going to be a big dog. He'll help himself to your plate all the time. It's better to stop him now." Nala set her sandwich on the brown bag. "He might be hungry. I'll get him something to eat." She placed the pup on the floor. "Come on. I'll feed you."

He ran behind her.

When Nala returned, she smiled. "He's a cutie. I can see why you brought him home."

"I need to get him a vet appointment. I'm not sure how to do it with my ankle issue. Do your kids have a dog?" Paige offered Nala some grapes.

She accepted them. "They have a ol' redbone hound, their grand pappy gave'm. They love that dog." After eating a few grapes, she said, "I'm sure Cash'll help you get him to a vet. Do you have the number?"

"Cash's mom gave me a number of the vet they used. Morgan's my first pet. I'm not sure why I never had one. I can already tell he's going to be extra work, but he's fun to have around."

The puppy scampered around the corner and slid across the waxed floor. The women laughed as he turned and barked at the tasseled rug.

As Morgan expressed his disgust, Paige and Nala wiped the tears rolling down their cheeks.

"Good afternoon."

Both ladies turned at the sound of a man's voice. The puppy ran toward Paige. The fur on his back bristled and he growled.

"Dr. Walker." Paige's eyes widened. "I didn't hear the bell."

"I'm sure it's because of the laughter. I let myself in."

Nala stood. "I need to get back to work. Can I get you some ice tea?"

"That would be fine." His glare followed Nala.

"Dwayne, what brings you here?" Paige interrupted his stare.

"I heard you'd injured your ankle. I came by to see how you're doing and see if there's any way I can help." He stepped closer to Paige.

"How did you find out about my accident? Only a few people know." Her eyes met his.

"I have a friend who works at the hospital." He glanced into the hallway. "Excuse me a moment."

That's strange. Where's he going? Paige used the arm of the couch to help her stand. She grabbed the back of a chair to keep from putting weight on the ankle. Standing in the doorway, she heard Dr. Walker addressing Nala. I can't make out the words. Whatever it is, it isn't good.

As Dwayne returned to the library, Paige released a deep breath. "I think you'd better leave. I won't allow my friends to be intimidated in my home."

"You aren't from these parts. I was trying to help you assimilate to our ways. I know things are a little different up North. In the South, aristocrats don't socialize with the hired help. You're a person of wealth."

"Are you telling me there's a class system in the South?" Paige chewed on her lower lip.

"Not exactly a class, but a social system. If you plan on staying, you might want to embrace our ways."

"If embracing your ways means not treating everyone as an equal, then I'm not interested. Please leave, or I'll have you removed." She turned away and said, "Nala, please ask Cash and Billy Joe to come here."

Nala called to the men. Dr. Walker turned toward the front door. "You're making a huge mistake. I guess you'll find out the hard way."

Dwayne paused and said something to Nala.

Billy Joe entered. Paige explained the situation.

"That ain't right. Think we need to pay him a visit?" Cash stepped into the room. Billy Joe glanced at him.



Recognized


Thank you google images for the photo of a chocolate Labrador retriever puppy. Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.