Romance Fiction posted January 21, 2013 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe have an idea.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 7, Part 5

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Previous post:
Entering her room, Cash walked around the bed and faced her. "Paige, talk to me. There's a reason you're crying. What is it?" He sat.

"My ankle hurts, I'm tired, and I'm in pain, and ..." Her slow flow of tears turned into sobbing. "I can't sleep because my ankle hurts."

Cash kicked off his boots, lay beside her, and scooted closer. "Come here. Maybe this'll help." He put his arm around her.

Paige lay her head on his chest.


Today's post:

The early morning sun shone through the cracks in the Venetian blinds and woke Cash. He glanced toward Paige. I'm glad you're finally asleep. He stretched, before glancing at her ankle that rested on a pillow. It's still badly bruised and swollen. I didn't expect it to be any different. Paige will.

Cash put on his boots before he stood. I wonder why she turned down the pain killers. I'm sure she has a good reason. Maybe someday she'll tell me. He glanced at his watch. Good, Billy Joe should be here. He opened the door and squinted at the bright sunlight.

"Hey, Cash, you look like it was a rough night." Billy Joe chuckled.

"Can you go inside and keep an eye on Paige? I need to get her dog." Cash continued toward his pickup.

"Paige doesn't have a dog and she doesn't need a babysitter."

"She has a dog and a broken ankle." Cash shut the truck's door and drove away.

*****
Paige woke up, studied her ankle, and grimaced. "It's still swollen and it still hurts." She tried to get out of bed. "Ouch!"

Billy Joe stepped into the room. "You ain't supposed ta walk on a broken ankle."

"That's already been mentioned more than a few times in the last twenty-four hours. Hello. Where's Cash?"

"He went to get a dog. What's going on?" Billy Joe removed his cap and scratched his head. "I'm buffaloed."

"Can you help me to the bathroom? We've had a lot of excitement since we spoke after church."

Paige attempted to put her hand around Billy Joe's neck. His arm went around her waist. "I see why you ain't got crutches." He picked her up and carried her.

"When I get my other cast, the doctor said I could use them." She glanced around. "You can set me down now." She stood on her good foot and used the sink for support. "I'll let you know when I'm finished."

Once Paige was back in bed, she told Billy Joe about the ATF, the puppy, the five perfect pan-sized fish, and how she and Morgan got stranded outside during the storm.

"I ain't too smart, but I'm purdy sure you ain't supposed ta take the dog out in a storm." Billy Joe rubbed his chin.

"According to the weather forecast, we should've been back inside before the storm hit. It hurried. Morgan got scared and darted off. Anyway, it's history now."

"Having you around ain't dull. Go back to the part about a stranger that helped you inside."

"I passed out. I don't know who helped me. I thought it was Cash, but he says it wasn't."

"He ain't gonna like some other man helping you."

"He should be happy someone found me or I'd still be outside under that tree."

Billy Joe looked out the window and pointed to a large tree a few feet off the beaten path. "Yonder under that there oak tree?"

"I don't know. It was dark. I tripped and rolled, then hit the tree."

"When Cash gets here, I'll go out and look for footprints." He sat beside Paige and studied her ankle. "You did it up right."

"Thanks." She frowned.

*****
It wasn't long before Cash returned and set the wiggly puppy beside Paige. "He already likes you. Nala just arrived and will be up shortly with coffee and breakfast."

"That mutt's a male, right? Name a male in these parts that don't like Paige." After Cash grinned and nodded, Billy Joe continued, "Paige's gonna have ta be careful when she takes the dog out."

"You're right." Cash stared at Billy Joe. She didn't need the mutt to start with.

"I want to show you something." Billy Joe paused until Cash stood beside him, then continued, "See that yonder oak tree? I'm guessing whoever helped Paige left footprints in that mud. We need to take a look-see."

"Good idea. As soon as Nala brings breakfast, let's check it out."




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of a Confederate five dollar note.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. I have to post short because I work full time teaching first grade. Time doesn't allow me write and review. This post is part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.