Romance Fiction posted January 6, 2013 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash arrives to help Paige.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 7, Part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs North as these two attempt to find love.
Ending of previous post:

When Paige's body warmed up, she called out, "Cash, Cash." Silence. She grabbed her cell phone on the nightstand, pressed Cash's number, and waited for him to answer. "Cash, I don't know what I did to my ankle. How'd you know I needed help?"

"I didn't. I'm on my way."

Today's post:

Cash used his key to enter Paige's house. He searched downstairs, then heard Morgan's yap. He followed the sound upstairs and saw Paige lying in bed with the puppy beside her. "What happened?"

Morgan stared at Cash before he slowly wagged his tail.

After Paige relayed the story, she continued, "I guess I passed out. The last thing I remember was sitting under a tree and freezing. I don't know how I got here. I thought you carried me."

Shaking his head, Cash released a deep breath. "I didn't have anything to do with that. Let me look at your ankle."

Paige struggled to uncover it.

Cash lifted the blanket just enough to expose it. He felt around it, tenderly. "It may be broken. I need to get you to the ER."

"It's only sprained." Paige flinched at his touching.

"An x-ray's the only way to tell." Their eyes met. "I'll take you."

"I can't leave Morgan. He's been traumatized. I'm sure I'll be better tomorrow."

With his phone to his ear, Cash said, "Mom, sorry to bother you. I think Paige broke her ankle. Can you watch Morgan while I take her to the ER?" He listened for a few moments, then put his phone away. "We'll drop the pup at my mom's on the way." He petted Morgan's head, then glanced at Paige. "Ready?"

"Whoever helped me, removed my clothes." She pointed to a pile of wet, muddy clothes on the floor. "I'm not fully dressed. I need to put on jeans and a blouse."

"You're saying a stranger undressed you?" Cash's jaw set.

Paige cringed as she moved. "I don't feel like having this conversation right now. Leave, and I'll get dressed."

"If your ankle's broken, you won't be able to put weight on it. Where's your clothes? I'll get them. You can dress from bed."

She glanced and nodded toward the dresser. "Bottom drawer for jeans, and the closet for a blouse."

"You may want to wear shorts or sweats. If your ankle needs to be set, they'll cut the jeans."

"Third drawer for shorts." She sighed. "It's only sprained. I know it."

Cash held up a pair of khaki walking shorts. "These all right?"

Paige tilted her head and thought for a moment. "Go to the next drawer. There's workout shorts in there. Get the dark blue ones. There should be a light blue V-neck T-shirt folded under them." She watched Cash lay the clothes beside her. "Thank you. Please leave while I dress."

She slid the T-shirt over her head and pulled it to her waist. All of this is a waste of time. My ankle's fine. Just a little sore. Glancing at the alarm clock, she wrinkled up her nose. It's already 10:30. I won't be back for hours. She leaned forward and wiggled trying to slip into the shorts. "OUCH!" She released a deep breath.

"Are you all right?" Cash knocked on the door.

"Of course, I know how to dress."

Again, she tried to get her right foot inside the shorts. It wouldn't go. Tears welled in her eyes. She tossed blankets over the lower half of her body and whispered, "Cash, I need help."

Paige heard a knock on the door, then Cash's voice, "Did you say something?"

"I need help," she said softly.

"I can't hear you. You need to speak louder."

"Never mind."

Cash opened the door and grinned. "What did you say?"

"You heard me the first time, didn't you?" Paige glared at him. "You're so male."

"Hand me the shorts." Cash took them and carefully lifted Paige's right foot. After he slid the shorts to her knees, he stopped. "You'll have to take it from there." He glanced at something lying beside Paige and picked it up. "What's this?"

Paige studied it. "I've never seen it before. I wonder how it got there. It looks like an old button. what's it made of."

"It's a Civil War button." He ran his thumb across the CSA. "Probably brass. Do you mind if I take it?"

Paige shook her head and asked, "What does CSA stand for?"

"Confederate States of America." Cash slipped it in his pocket. "I guess it stuck to your body when you fell outside."

Paige cringed, but wiggled her bottom into the shorts. "Would you hand me those shoes." She pointed to a pair of running shoes by the dresser.

Cash's eyes widened as they met Paige's. "You haven't taken a good look at your ankle, have you? It's so bruised and swollen you won't get shoes on for days, maybe weeks."

Out of frustration Paige leaned back in bed. "You seem to think I need my stupid ankle x-rayed. How am I supposed to get to the truck, fly?" She sighed. "After the doctor pronounces my ankle being sprained only, you'd better believe I'm going to shout 'I told you so'."

Shaking his head, Cash said, "Sit up." He set Morgan on her lap. "Hold the mutt," Then he picked up Paige. "I'll carry you to the truck."

"You can't carry me inside the emergency room."

"Watch me."




Recognized


Thank you, Google Images, for a photo of Confederate uniform buttons.

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Errors in dialogue are intentional. My posts are short, but please remember they are part of a longer chapter which is part of a novel. I cannot describe the main characters in each post, the novel would never end. The characters do continue to grow with each chapter as does Cash and Paige's relationship.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.