General Fiction posted April 30, 2024 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Heddy makes a move.

A chapter in the book Saltwater Ghosts

First Time's the Charm

by GWHARGIS



Background
Eleven-year-old Heddy can communicate with her deceased grandmother, Nonni.
So far, Heddy has discovered a German man hiding on the island in an abandoned house. She has a new friend named Lester who works with his aunt at the post office. Now, her brother Willis has finally come home.

************************************************************************************************

Willis is slowly getting used to the days here on the island. He flinches when there are loud noises and often just sits silently on the front porch. My momma tells me to go out with him, keep him talking ... about anything. Don't let him be by himself for too long. He is better when my daddy gets home. They will sit out there and talk in low voices long after it gets dark. They stay outside until the mosquitoes drive them inside.

After he'd been home a week, he announces to Momma that he and I are going to walk to the post office and gather any mail. I'm happy because he will finally meet Lester. And maybe seeing Willis home from the war will give him hope for his own father.

"Momma said you were keeping the island safe by checking the shore for pirates and U-boats." Willis says as we walk down the rutted path.

I nod, then look at him to make sure he isn't teasing me. "Are you making fun, Willis?"

He shakes his head. "No. As a matter of fact, there are women and girls in France who are part of what they call the Resistance. They carry secret messages to their troops and do other things to stop the Germans. You are brave like that, Heddy. I have no doubt you'd do just like them if you lived there."

I smile. It's nice that Willis thinks I'm brave, but my mind goes to Artie. He's a German, but he's not like the ones Willis was fighting. Artie is nice, and he's afraid of Hitler just like we are.

"So, tell me about your friend." Willis reaches and tugs a sea oat free. He runs it across my cheek, tickling me. "Does he like you as much as you like him?"

"What do you mean? He's my friend, that's all."

Willis tilts his head. "Are you sure about that? Cause, when I suggested we go to the post office, you sure did scramble to get ready. Why, you even ran upstairs to brush your hair. Now, the Heddy I remember would run from the hairbrush."

I look to the other side of the path, anywhere other than at him. He will see my face turn pink and then he'll think I'm in love with Lester and that simply isn't true. He's my friend, that is all. Besides, Lester gave his heart to that girl Lucille back home.

"Hey, it's okay to like a boy. It's gonna happen, probably more than once. Do you like him?"

"He said he's got a girl already. Her name is Lucille. Said she was real pretty. He wouldn't like someone like me. I ain't pretty. I'm odd. That's what my teacher says. She told me I was an odd duck."

Willis sighs and steps closer, putting his arm across my shoulder. "Heddy, you might not look like a movie star, but that's okay. There will be some boy who will look at you and think you are the most beautiful girl in the entire world. I promise you that. Now, I won't tell anyone if you like him."

"I guess I do. I keep thinking about him going away at the end of summer and it makes me real sad."

"Well, you can't stop the summer from ending but you can have fun with him while he's here."

I wish it was that easy. But every new day brings us closer to the day we have to say goodbye.

**********************************************************************************************

Maybe it's because Willis is a soldier, but Mrs. Collette lets Lester come home with us. He's pretty dirty again, but Willis doesn't mention it. He asks Lester all about his dad. Tells him about the naval men he met while he was overseas. Lester listens intently, as if Willis is talking about his father.

"Where is your dad? On a ship or stateside?" Willis asks.

"He's in the Pacific. Been there for almost six months. He used to write home about twice a month, but then his letters got less and less and they had big black lines through them."

"Well, Lester, they do that so if the mail falls into enemy hands no important information will help them. It's done to keep your dad and his shipmates safe. It's usually boring stuff they censor."

Lester nods and looks back at me as I trail behind them. There really isn't enough room on the path for us to walk three across, so I let them walk and talk. "You have never been this quiet before, Heddy. Cat got your tongue?"

"No. Just listening to y'all."

Lester follows Willis around like a puppy for most of the afternoon. I have to beg him to come down to the beach with me. He only agrees after Willis says he's going to go upstairs and read.

"You're brother is nice. My dad would like him, you know, even if he is army."

"They're on the same side, silly."

Lester arranges his shoes and socks on the sand neatly. "That doesn't matter. Army likes Army and Navy likes Navy. That's just how it is."

"You want to build a sandcastle or ... maybe walk to see how Artie is?"

"Maybe we shouldn't go down that way. You're brother just came home. Artie is German. It just doesn't seem right."

I squat and dig my fingers through the wet sand. "You still don't trust him, do you?"

Lester kneels and starts pushing the sand around. "I want to. I really do."

His glasses slide down to the end of his nose and he awkwardly pushes them back with the back of his hand. When he catches me looking at him, he blushes. "What?"

The end of summer will be here before you know it. If I wait, he'll be gone. I might not be as beautiful as Lucille, but I'm here, right in front of him. Without another moment's hesitation, I lean forward. My lips land right on his.

"Heddy," he says, his voice sounds like the wind just got knocked out of him. "You kissed me."

I settle back on my heels and wait for either tears or laughter, but Lester simply smiles and looks at me.

"That was nice," he says. "But next time, I'll do the kissing."

I build the biggest sandcastle I ever have. I'm happy digging in the cool sand, even giggle when a rogue wave washes out the exterior wall. I'm happy because I have a boyfriend.

I steal a glance at him, noticing the tiny freckles that are scattered across his nose. Lester is officially my boyfriend.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.